Construction Law attorneys at Bowles Rice are experienced in the wide range of industry-specific issues that arise at every phase of construction.
An Experienced, Recognized Construction Law Team
Bowles Rice has represented developers, planners, public and private owners, builders, commercial and residential contractors, subcontractors, architects, engineers, suppliers, sureties and insurance companies and financial institutions. When disputes have arisen, we have represented our construction clients in arbitration, mediation, and litigation in state and federal courts. We have assisted clients with projects ranging from single-family homes to multi-million dollar commercial developments, including wastewater treatment plants and distribution systems, airport runways and taxiways, highway and bridge construction projects, and construction of public schools and state and federal government facilities.
Our Construction Law attorneys strive to avoid costly delays and possible litigation by working proactively with our clients to plan and document the role and responsibilities of all parties. Bowles Rice lawyers are experienced mediators and arbitrators, and have successfully provided those services in a wide range of construction-related disputes.
Five Bowles Rice lawyers are recognized in the current edition of The Best Lawyers in America ® for their work in Construction Law and/or Construction Litigation.
A Bowles Rice partner was instrumental in drafting the West Virginia Design-Build Procurement Act and currently serves as chairman of the West Virginia Design-Build Review Board.
Among the areas in which Bowles Rice has Construction Law experience are:
Construction Project Services
- Project financing
- Public/private projects
- Preparation and evaluation of bid documents
- Bid protests and other disputes involving bidding and awarding of contract
- Assistance with competitive bidding process for public projects
- Assistance with the Design-Build Review process
- Drafting programs for use in Design-Build construction process
- Schedule impact analysis
- OSHA compliance, review and evaluation
- Contract negotiation, contract drafting and preparation, contract review and evaluation
- Space planning
- Construction management assistance
- Claims for additional cost
- Claims for additional time
- Mechanics’ liens
- Bankruptcy adversary proceedings
- Litigation in state and federal courts involving jury and non-jury cases
- Professional negligence claims
Presentations & Events
- Presentation: Negotiating Damages in Construction Disputes by K. Bradley MellorConstruction Law: Advanced Issues and Answers | National Business Institute CLE SeminarCrowne Plaza Pittsburgh South, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, March 5, 2020
- Presentation: Ethics for Construction Attorneys by K. Bradley MellorConstruction Law: Advanced Issues and Answers | National Business Institute CLE SeminarCrowne Plaza Pittsburgh South, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, March 5, 2020
- Presentation: Navigating Drug & Alcohol Workplace Acts by Patrick C. TimonyThe West Virginia Design and Construction ExpoCharleston Coliseum & Convention Center, March 20, 2019
- Presentation: Drug Abuse or Disability -- Are Employees Who Take Prescription Drugs in a Protected Class? by Ronda L. HarveyThe West Virginia Design and Construction ExpoCharleston Coliseum & Convention Center, March 20, 2019
- Presentation: Mechanic's Liens by Patrick C. TimonyFebruary 3, 2019
- Presentation: Another Truancy Problem: How the AIA Empowers School Districts to Correct Delays and Absenteeism in Construction, by Marc Monteleone, Ken Webb and Mark AdkinsWest Virginia Association of School Business Officials: Annual ConferenceEmbassy Suites Charleston, Charleston, West Virginia, May 12, 2015
Articles & Alerts
- Construction Destruction: How the Opioid Epidemic Infects and Impacts the West Virginia Construction Industry by Patrick C. TimonyWest Virginia Construction News, November/December 2018
- New West Virginia Legislation Provides Limits on Asbestos-Related Liabilities for Successor CorporationsMarch 31, 2016
- Banking Alert, 2010