F: (304) 347-1746
J.D., West Virginia University College of Law (1988)
B.S., Chemistry, Marshall University (1984)
Post-Bac Teacher Certificate, Marshall University (2015)
- Supreme Court of Appeals for West Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of West Virginia
Trey Morrone joined Bowles Rice in January 2020, bringing nearly thirty years of experience in the areas of education law, municipal law and governmental representation and administration to the firm’s Education Law Group. Such a varied background provides Trey a unique perspective when providing counsel to state boards of education, school districts and their employees.
From 2014 to 2018, Trey served as President of the Wayne County, West Virginia Board of Education, during which time an expansive body of local polices were developed to afford stability to the operation of the school district, more than $42 million in school construction projects were completed and student achievement in the school district was the most improved statewide.
Trey has also served leadership roles with numerous other education-based organizations, including the Regional Education Service Agency, the Mountain State Educational Service Cooperative, the West Virginia School Board Association and the West Virginia School Service Personnel Association.
Trey has experience as a classroom teacher at the elementary, middle, high school and college levels, having earned a license from the West Virginia Department of Education and a teaching certificate from the Marshall University College of Graduate Studies (M.A.T./Post-Baccalaureate Program).
In addition to his vast experience in the world of education, Trey’s early career features an impressive history of public service. From 1991 to 1999, he served as the city attorney for the City of Kenova, West Virginia, and from 1999 to 2007, he served as the city’s mayor.
- President, Wayne County Board of Education (2014-2018)
- Mayor, City of Kenova, West Virginia (1999-2007)
- City Attorney, City of Kenova, West Virginia (1991-1999)
- January 8, 2020
- National School Boards Association Council of School Attorneys
- West Virginia School Boards Association Council of School Attorneys
- Manna Meal, Volunteer
- Rotary Club of Ceredo-Kenova (Member, 1994-2009; Paul Harris Fellow and Past President)