F: (304) 347-1756
J.D., West Virginia University College of Law (1997)
- Member, Moot Court Board of Review
B.A., Centre College (1994)
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Third and Fourth Circuits
Mark Adkins focuses his practice primarily on complex, high-risk commercial litigation in the areas of banking, construction, energy and commercial contract disputes.
With more than two decades of representative experience in litigation work, including numerous tried-to-verdict jury trials, Mark is well positioned to assist clients in the arena of high-risk, "Bet-the-Company" matters.
Mark represents banks, lenders and debt collectors in matters involving bank and consumer litigation issues. He also represents clients in matters involving leasing issues, contracts and property rights related to coal and natural gas. He also has significant experience in multi-million dollar construction litigation matters involving commercial, retail and public construction projects.
In addition to his vast litigation experience, Mark is a member of the Bowles Rice Government Relations group. As a registered lobbyist, he regularly works with members of the West Virginia Legislature and administration on behalf of the firm's clients. Mark served as staff counsel to the West Virginia House of Delegates Judiciary Committee during the 2015 Legislative Session.
He has been recognized with an AV-rating by Martindale-Hubbell. Additionally, Mark has been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America ® in commercial litigation law, litigation/banking & finance and litigation/construction; by Super Lawyers in the area of business litigation; and by Benchmark Litigation in general litigation .
- Represented bank in multi-million dollar insurance coverage dispute, regarding claim for damages resulting from fraudulently secured loans.
- Represented state agency in multi-million dollar construction dispute regarding a northern West Virginia facility.
- Practice Group Leader, Bowles Rice Litigation Department
- Member, Bowles Rice Executive Committee
- Former Chairman, West Virginia State Bar Lawyer Outreach Committee
- Per Diem Staff Counsel, West Virginia House of Delegates Judiciary Committee, 2015 Legislative Session
- State ex rel. Blankenship v. Warner, No. 18-0712 (2018)
- State ex rel. Biafore v. Tomblin, 782 S.E. 2d 223 (2016)
- W. Virginia Inv. Mgmt. Bd. v. Variable Annuity Life Ins. Co., 234 W. Va. 469, 766 S.E.2d 416 (2014);
- State ex rel. McDavid v. Tennant et al., No. 14-0939 (W.Va. Supreme Court, Oct. 1, 2014)(memorandum decision);
W.W. McDonald Land Co. v. EQT Prod. Co., No. 2:11-CV-00418, 2014 WL 4063870 (S.D.W. Va. Aug. 14, 2014);
Rufus et al. v. The Greenbrier Sporting Club Development Co., Inc. et al., No. 13-0218, 2013 WL 5966996 (W.Va. Supreme Court, November 8, 2013) (memorandum decision);
Morton v. Unknown Heirs of Van Camp , 221 W. Va. 299; 654 S.E. 2d 621, (2007);
Thaxton v. Novastar Mortg. , 2:05-0858, 2006 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 21912, (2006);
State ex rel. Blackhawk Enters. V. Bloom, 219 W.Va. 333; 633 S.E. 2d 278 (2006);
Estate of Tawney v. Columbia Natural Res., LLC , 219 W. Va. 266; 633 S.E. 2d 22; (2006);
Wood v. Acordia of West Virginia, Inc., 217 W. Va. 406; 618 S.E. 2d 415 (2005); and
Dunn v. Watson, 211 W. Va. 418; 566 S.E.2d.305 (2002).
- Named Best Lawyers’ 2019 Litigation - Banking and Finance Lawyer of the Year in the southern West Virginia region
- Named to The Best Lawyers in America ® (Commercial Litigation Law; Litigation - Banking & Finance; and Litigation - Construction), 2011-present
- Peer-Review Rated AV by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized by Super Lawyers (Business Litigation), 2010-present
- Named a 2020 “State Litigation Star” in General Commercial, Construction, Trust and Estate by Benchmark Litigation
- May 6, 2021
- February 1, 2021
- Best Lawyers in America®, August 20, 2020
- April 21, 2020
- August 15, 2019
- April 17, 2019
- February 19, 2018
- August 18, 2016
- January 26, 2016
Presentations & Events
- Presentation: Alternative Dispute Resolution: It is Not All the Same – Know the Differences! by J. Mark AdkinsAssociated Builders & Contractors of West Virginia – Summer 2021 MeetingSnowshoe Mountain Resort, Snowshoe, West Virginia, July 31, 2021
- Presentation: What to Expect from PPP Plaintiffs by J. Mark Adkins and Lara R. BrandfassCommunity Bankers of West VirginiaWebinar, May 28, 2020
- Presentation: Another Truancy Problem: How the AIA Empowers School Districts to Correct Delays and Absenteeism in Construction, by Marc Monteleone, Ken Webb and Mark AdkinsWest Virginia Association of School Business Officials: Annual ConferenceEmbassy Suites Charleston, Charleston, West Virginia, May 12, 2015
Articles & Alerts
- The DTCWV Defender, Summer 2021
- The Banking Dilemma of the West Virginia Medical Cannabis Act by J. Mark Adkins and Richard R. Heath, Jr.The Community Banker, Quarter 2 | 2018
- Bowles Rice Banking Alert, April 10, 2017
- “Returning the Mountain State to the Mainstream, West Virginia Adopts Sweeping Legal Reforms,” by J. Mark Adkins and Patrick Timony Washington Legal Foundation Legal BackgrounderWashington Legal Foundation, June 5, 2015
- West Virginia Banker Magazine, Spring 2013
- West Virginia Bar Association (Past President, Young Lawyers Section)
- Kanawha County Bar Association (Past Officer)