F: (724) 514-8954
J.D., University of Cincinnati College of Law (2002)
- Dean's Honor List
B.A., cum laude, Edinboro University of Pennsylvania (1999)
- Ohio Supreme Court
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Michael R. Proctor
Mike has a wide range of experience representing clients in state and federal court, mediation, arbitration and in prosecuting and defending appeals. He has developed a diverse practice throughout the region, with experience that includes litigating contractual disputes in the banking, insurance, real estate and construction industries; bankruptcy; commercial lease issues; preparing loan modification agreements; and advising clients on compliance with federal procurement and banking regulations.
As a litigator, Mike’s experience includes representing manufacturers in trade disputes with vendors and subcontractors; construction defect claims; breach of contract; litigating disputes related to sales of insurance policies; perfecting and defending mechanics’ lien claims; defending statutory liability claims against lenders, and more. Mike has also obtained summary judgment for a large bank against claims that it improperly negotiated checks under Article 3 of the UCC, and litigated lien priority disputes arising under the Article 9 of the UCC. Early in his career, Mike defended medical malpractice claims through jury trial.
Mike has represented creditors in all aspects of bankruptcy in Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia, including filing and litigating proofs of claim, litigating preferential transfer claims and defending automatic stay/discharge injunction violations. Mike has also represented purchasers and creditors in connection with asset sales in bankruptcy and represented lessors and lenders in real estate and equipment lease issues arising in bankruptcy.
Additionally, Mike has extensive experience with issues related to municipal law and zoning. He is a former member of the North Strabane Township Municipal Authority and current member of the North Strabane Township Zoning Hearing Board. In these roles, Mike participated in municipal employment issues, negotiating collective bargaining agreements and in presiding over zoning variance petitions. Mike also has served as an arbitrator in the Court of Common Pleas of Washington County and currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Washington County Bar Association.
Mike has also assisted veterans on a pro bono basis in procurement of Veteran’s Administration benefits, and in serving as a VA fiduciary and Social Security representative payee.
- Chair, Local Rules Advisory Committee, U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- Best Lawyers in America®, August 20, 2020
- August 15, 2019
- April 16, 2018
Articles & Alerts
- March 27, 2020
- "Will Banks Gamble on New Interactive Gaming Opportunities Available to Customers?" by Michael R. ProctorPennsylvania Banker, Quarter 1 | Volume 21.1 | 2019
- Bowles Rice e-Alert, February 12, 2019
- Real Estate Law, March 11, 2021
- American Subcontractors Association of Western Pennsylvania
- Associated Builders and Contractors of Western Pennsylvania
- Builders Association of Metropolitan Pittsburgh
- Credit Abuse Resistance Education (CARE)
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Pittsburgh Airport Area Chamber of Commerce
- Society of American Military Engineers
- Washington County Bar Association
- Board of Directors Member
- Public Education & Relations Committee Member
- West Virginia State Bar Association
- North Strabane Township, Pennsylvania
- Municipal Authority (Board of Directors)
- Zoning Hearing Board (Board of Directors)