F: (304) 267-3822
- Former Law Clerk to United States Magistrate David J. Joel
J.D., West Virginia University College of Law (2010)
- Associate Editor, The West Virginia Law Review
- President, WVU Environmental Law Society
B.A., Political Science, West Virginia University (2006)
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of West Virginia
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Tyler Mayhew focuses his practice on labor and employment law, commercial litigation and appellate litigation. Tyler advises employers on human resources and compliance matters, and employment policies. He also defends employers against claims asserted in court, before administrative tribunals and in arbitration. He has successfully defended employers from employee discrimination & harassment claims, misclassification claims, wage & hour claims, deliberate intent claims, and wrongful termination claims.
Tyler also represents businesses in complex commercial disputes, and in appellate matters before the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia, the Supreme Court of Virginia and the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
Tyler earned his law degree from the West Virginia University College of Law in 2010, where he was president of the WVU Environmental Law Society and a member of The West Virginia Law Review. Prior to joining Bowles Rice, Tyler clerked for the Hon. David J. Joel, Magistrate Judge for the United States District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia.
Tyler is a member of the Eastern Panhandle Society for Human Resource Management (EPSHRM), and a member of the labor & employment sections of both the Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia and the Defense Research Institute (DRI).
Prevented putative wage & hour class action against client by compelling individual arbitration of named plaintiff’s claims.
In a matter of first impression under West Virginia law, compelled arbitration of wrongful death claims against client based on agreement signed by the decedent.
Obtained dismissal of fraud claim against client, and obtained award of sanctions against plaintiffs for the entire cost of defense.
Obtained asset freeze and injunction against perpetrator of cyber fraud scheme targeting client.
- Obtained “no probable cause” findings and dismissals of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation complaints filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the West Virginia Human Rights Commission.
- Obtained multi-million dollar judgment in favor of client in complex commercial dispute.
- Member, Bowles Rice Recruiting Committee
- Chair, Bowles Rice Human Resources Department
- Graduate of Leadership Berkeley, Class of 2020, Martinsburg-Berkeley County Chamber of Commerce
- Graduate of Leadership Jefferson, Class Ten, Jefferson County Chamber of Commerce
- Chairman, Tree Committee, Corporation of Harpers Ferry, WV
- Recognized as "Ones to Watch" by The Best Lawyers in America ® (Litigation - Labor and Employment), 2021-present
- May 6, 2021
- Best Lawyers in America®, August 20, 2020
- January 2, 2019
- December 30, 2016
Presentations & Events
- Presentation: 2020-2021 Legislative Update for the HR Professional by J. Tyler MayhewEastern Panhandle Society for Human Resource ManagementWebinar, September 8, 2021
- Presentation: COVID-19 Employment Law Update by J. Tyler Mayhew and Lindsay M. GainerNorth Central West Virginia Society for Human Resource ManagementWebinar, September 8, 2021
- Presentation: COVID-19 Vaccines and Other Pandemic Issues for Your Employees and Business by J. Tyler MayhewWest Virginia Hospitality & Travel AssociationWebinar, May 12, 2021
- Presentation: Peace, Love and Understanding Medical Cannabis and Hemp by Floyd McKinley Sayre and J. Tyler MayhewMartinsburg-Berkeley County Chamber of Commerce | News @ NoonWebinar, December 9, 2020
- Presentation: Putting Your Team Back to Work – New Rules, Regulations and Requirements for Employers in the COVID-19 Era by Jennifer B. Hagedorn, J. Tyler Mahew and Julie A. MooreJefferson County Chamber of CommerceWebinar, June 4, 2020
- Presentation: Putting Your Team Back to Work – New Rules, Regulations and Requirements for Employers in the COVID-19 Era by Jennifer B. Hagedorn, J. Tyler Mahew and Julie A. MooreCommunity Bankers of West VirginiaWebinar, May 12, 2020
- Presentation: Employment Law 101: What Every Business Owner Needs to Know by J. Tyler MayhewJefferson County Chamber of CommerceNovember 2018
- Presentation: 2017 West Virginia Legislative Update for the HR Professional: Drug Testing & Medical Marijuana by J. Tyler MayhewEastern Panhandle Society for Human Resource Management (EPSHRM)November 2017
Articles & Alerts
- Labor and Employment e-Alert, December 23, 2020
- Labor and Employment e-Alert, December 18, 2020
- Labor and Employment e-Alert, December 16, 2020
- Labor & Employment e-Alert, December 15, 2020
- April 13, 2020
- March 19, 2020
- March 16, 2020
- Department of Labor Announces Hotly-Anticipated Changes to Overtime Exemption Rules by J. Tyler MayhewBowles Rice e-Alert, March 8, 2019
- United States Supreme Court Rules that Employers May Demand Individualized Arbitration of Employment DisputesMay 25, 2018
- February 23, 2018
- Bowles Rice Labor and Employment e-Alert, July 27, 2017
- “Question Presented: Are Class Arbitration Waivers of Employment-Related Claims Illegal and Unenforceable Under the FAA?,” by J. Tyler MayhewDefense Trial Counsel of West Virginia Notebook of Articles, 2017.
- "Brooks v. City of Huntington: A Case Study in The Measure of Damages for Residential Property," by Julie R. Shank and J. Tyler MayhewDefense Trial Counsel of West Virginia Notebook of Articles, 2015
Views & Visions
- Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia, Employment Law Subcommittee
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Eastern Panhandle Bar Association
- Eastern Panhandle Society for Human Resource Management (EPSHRM)
- Jefferson County Chamber of Commerce
- Jefferson County Chamber of Commerce (Board of Directors)