Cybersecurity and Information Privacy
As technology continues to evolve, and we become more reliant on the personal and professional conveniences it provides, the urgency for strict behaviors and protocols that promote information security rises exponentially. The Bowles Rice Cybersecurity and Information Privacy Team provides an all-encompassing approach to privacy and data security issues for a wide variety of businesses and industries.
Keeping sensitive information private and secure is of paramount importance to our clients in the health care and banking and financial services industries, as well as those in real estate, education, public utilities and more. With detailed security risk assessment, customized data privacy policies and procedures, contract negotiation assistance, employee and vendor training, and a comprehensive cyber incident response plan, our team’s approach encourages a level of awareness and preparedness necessary for today’s complicated business landscape.
Data breaches, hacks and other cyber incidents are not completely unavoidable. Our team has experience providing swift and discrete response efforts to such occurrences. From working in concert with state and regulatory authorities and assisting with investigations to fulfilling any notification or compliance obligations and providing litigation services, our experience is wide-ranging in scope and effect.
The members of the Bowles Rice Cybersecurity and Information Privacy Team bring years of experience and knowledge to this arena, be it the banking sector with its state and federal compliance statutes and regulations, or the health care industry and all the intricacies of HIPAA, HITECH and PHI. Whatever the industry, our team is well suited to help your business plan, practice and prepare for information privacy and security.
- Risk Assessment
- Employee and Vendor Training
- Cybersecurity preparedness
- Data breach response
- Disputes and litigation
- Regulatory investigations
Presentations & Events
- Presentation: Avoiding the Pitfalls and Liabilities of Cyber-Fraud by Gabriele WohlThe Trial Network: Lakeside Litigation SuperCourseRitz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee, Greensboro, Georgia, April 28, 2023
- Presentation: The Proposed Rule for Computer-Security Incident Notifications: What You Need to Know by Floyd Boone and Julie ShankCommunity Bankers of West Virginia Cybersecurity Technology ForumWebinar, April 13, 2021
- Presentation: Cybersecurity for the Tax Preparer, by Julie R. ShankWest Virginia Tax Institute, Annual MeetingCanaan Valley Resort, West Virginia, October 28, 2019
- Florida Bankers Association's Annual Cyber Security SymposiumOrlando, Florida, June 22, 2016
- Presentation: Data Security and Data Privacy Laws and Regulations Applicable to Banks, by Floyd BooneWest Virginia Bankers Association Seminar, Charleston, West Virginia, October 29, 2015
Articles & Alerts
- August 12, 2020
- Bowles Rice e-Alert, November 8, 2019
- "Data Breach and Data Theft: Some Risks May Be Closer Than You Think," by Floyd BooneThe Community Banker Magazine, Spring 2016
Views & Visions
- Under the Collar, April 21, 2020
- Under the Collar, March 26, 2020
- West Virginia Health Care Law, May 1, 2019