F: (304) 599-1308
J.D., West Virginia University College of Law (2011)
- Senior Editor, The West Virginia Law Review
B.A., summa cum laude, Political Science, West Virginia University (2008)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of West Virginia
Whitney Kerns is a member of the firm’s Energy Team, focusing on coal and oil and gas law. She also practices in real estate development.
Her work in the coal industry has included representing and advising coal operators and coal producers on various matters. Whitney served as counsel in the acquisition of coal properties for coal operators, and represented them in leasing rights, title disputes and curative judicial proceedings. She has also defended coal producers concerning leasing disputes.
In the area of oil and gas law, Whitney has performed due diligence for multi-million dollar oil and gas operation acquisitions. She’s represented oil and gas operators in acquisition of properties in West Virginia and Pennsylvania, and has counseled oil and production companies regarding leasing rights in West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio.
Since Fall of 2018, Whitney has served as an adjunct professor for the West Virginia College of Law where she has taught Coal, Oil and Gas Law.
She earned her law degree from the West Virginia University College of Law in 2011, where she was a member of the Order of the Coif and senior editor of The West Virginia Law Review.
She is admitted to practice in West Virginia and before the United States District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of West Virginia.
- Performed due diligence for multi-million dollar oil and gas operation acquisitions
- Member of title team charged with examining titles and authoring title opinions for energy clients
- Adjunct Professor, teaching Coal, Oil and Gas Law at West Virginia University College of Law (2018-present)
- Student Attorney, West Virginia University of Law Legal Clinic (2010-2011)
- West Virginia University College of Law
- Recipient of Jurisprudence CALI Award (recognition for achieving the highest grade in a particular subject)
- Order of the Coif
- Energy and Mineral Law Foundation
- Monongalia County Bar Association