F: (304) 347-2196
J.D., West Virginia University College of Law (2001)
M.A., Marshall University (1998)
B.A., Marshall University (1995)
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- Kentucky Supreme Court
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
Charles Hughes practices in the areas of energy law (oil and gas), construction law, business law, commercial litigation, corporate transactions and real estate law.
Charles is experienced in construction litigation and mechanic’s liens. He also has represented purchasers and sellers in a wide variety of additional asset and stock purchase agreements, ranging from $50,000 to $400 million. He has coordinated due diligence related to the acquisition of dozens of mineral-producing properties in four states and across multiple counties.
He has significant experience in abstracting and producing title reports for residential, commercial and mineral producing properties.
Charles successfully represented clients in the recovery of more than $1.6 million from the IRS for estate taxes erroneously paid and has successfully represented individual and business clients before the West Virginia Office of Tax Appeals.
- Staff Attorney, West Virginia State Tax Department (2002-2003)
- United States Naval Reservist (1992-2006)
- January 2, 2015
- Energy & Mineral Law Foundation
- Gas & Oil Association of WV, Inc.
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Metallurgical Coal Producers Association
- Volunteer Little League coach, girls’ softball (2005-present)
- Volunteer coach, elementary girls’ basketball recreational league (2006-present)