F: (724) 514-8954
J.D., West Virginia University College of Law (1974)
- Case comment editor, The West Virginia Law Review
B.B.A., Business Administration, Kent State University (1971)
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
James H. McCune
James McCune focuses his practice in real estate law, energy law, commercial lending, land use, and estate planning and probate. Jim leads the Washington County (PA) Property Tax Appeal Team at Bowles Rice. He is a lifelong resident of Washington County, a former Washington County Solicitor and a former solicitor for the Washington County Tax Revenue Department. He has represented many owners of commercial and industrial properties in tax assessment appeal litigation.
Jim is also a certified mediator, having completed the 40-hour course on mediation offered by The Alternative Group and Behrend Mediation Services.
He is trustee and a former chairman of the Washington County (PA) Bar Foundation, and trustee and founding chairman of the Washington County Community Foundation, Inc.
Jim was named to Pennsylvania Super Lawyers (2004, 2006) and chosen among “Pittsburgh’s Top Rated Lawyers” 2015 edition in a publication of The Wall Street Journal and Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. He has also earned an AV preeminent peer-review rating by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Former president, Washington County (PA) Bar Association
- Former Chairman of Board of Trustees of the Washington County Bar Foundation
- Licensed title insurance agent, Fidelity National Title Insurance
- Peer-Review Rated AV by Martindale-Hubbell
- Ceisler Professionalism Award, presented by the Washington County Bar Association (2015)
- Chosen among "Pittsburgh's Top Rated Lawyers" 2015 edition, a publication of the Wall Street Journal and the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- Recipient, Washington County (PA) Bar Association Distinguished Service Award (2010)
- Named to Pennsylvania Super Lawyers (2004, 2006)
- September 22, 2014
- February 4, 2013
- July 23, 2012
Presentations & Events
- Presentation: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Real Estate Taxes, But Were Afraid To Ask by James McCune and Kerrianne Donovan2020 Summer Bench Bar – Washington County (PA) Bar AssociationWebinar, August 27, 2020
- Presentation: Hotel Real Estate Taxes and the COVID-19 Pandemic by James McCune and Sharon MenchykWebinar, July 23, 2020
- Moderator: Energy Law Update, by James H. McCuneWashington County Bar AssociationSouthpointe, Pennsylvania, June 2017
- Presentation: What You Can Do if the Washington County Property Reassessment Raises Your Taxes, by James H. McCuneSouthpointe Golf Club, Southpointe, Pennsylvania, May 25, 2016
- Presentation: What You Can Do if the Washington County Property Reassessment Raises Your Taxes, by James H. McCuneWashington Country Club, Washington, Pennsylvania, May 11, 2016
- James speaks about the Washington County (PA) real estate tax reassessment to civic and business organizations.
- Presentation: What You Can Do if the Washington County Property Reassessment Raises Your Taxes, by James H. McCuneSouthpointe CEO Association, Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, February 24, 2016
- James is a frequent presenter on oil and gas-related topics.
Articles & Alerts
- Commercial & Industrial Tax Assessment Appeals e-Alert, March 19, 2021
- Oil & Gas Alert, May 9, 2014
- Real Estate Law, January 12, 2021
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Washington County (PA) Bar Association (President of the Energy Law Section, 2014–present; President, 1994)
- Southpointe CEO Association (Board Member)
- Washington County Bar Foundation (Trustee; Chairman, 2010–2015)
- Washington County Community Foundation, Inc. (Trustee and Founding Chairman)
- Trinity High School and Washington & Jefferson College Mock Trial Teams (Coach)