F: (304) 343-3058
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Robert B. King, Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
B.A., summa cum laude, Virginia Tech (2000)
- Phi Beta Kappa
J.D., West Virginia University College of Law (2003)
- Mountain Honorary
- Moot Court National Team
M.Sc., with merit, Law, Anthropology and Society, The London School of Economics (2006)
- Supreme Court of the United States
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
Peter G. Markham focuses his legal practice on civil litigation and appeals, government relations, health care and general business advising.
Before joining Bowles Rice, Peter served as General Counsel and Deputy Chief of Staff to West Virginia Governor Earl Ray Tomblin from 2012 to 2017, advising his administration on legal and policy matters involving federal and state law, the West Virginia budget, ethics, procurement and crisis management. He served as chairman of the School Building Authority of West Virginia and the West Virginia Infrastructure and Jobs Development Council and assisted in the Governor's selection of more than 20 circuit and family court judges as a member of the Judicial Vacancy Advisory Commission.
At Bowles Rice, Peter has represented businesses, state agencies and health care providers in contractual, tort and regulatory disputes. Well versed on the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and state procurement laws, Peter helps clients navigate document productions and exemptions, as well as bid protests. He also leads the firm's broadband practice group and is a member of the recruiting committee.
Peter’s prior litigation experience includes:
- Defending a global private equity company and its chairman in wrongful death actions arising out of the Sago Mine Disaster.
- Defending a labor organization in a class action alleging computer crimes and theft of trade secrets.
- Defending financial institutions and retailers in commercial litigation, including actions asserted under the West Virginia Consumer Credit and Protection Act.
- Performing appellate advocacy in the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia and federal courts in tort, constitutional law, legal malpractice and civil rights matters.
- Served as General Counsel and Deputy Chief of Staff to former West Virginia Governor Earl Ray Tomblin (2012 - 2017)
- February 24, 2017
Presentations & Events
- Presentation: Top 5 Issues to Consider in Launching a Broadband Cooperative, by Peter Markham, Berkeley Bentley and Jeffrey RayEmbassy Suites, Charleston, West Virginia, January 23, 2018
- Presentation: West Virginia Broadband Cooperatives - An Overview, by Peter Markham, Berkeley Bentley and Jeffrey RayMarmet Town Hall, Marmet, West Virginia, November 2, 2017
- Presentation: The Governor's Emergency PowersJoint Assembly of the Senate and House of Delegates of West VirginiaCharleston, West Virginia, 2015 Regular Session
- Presentation: The Role of the Governor's Office in the Legislative ProcessWest Virginia University College of LawMorgantown, West Virginia, Fall 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017
- Presentation: Combating Derechos, Water Crises & Locusts: An Overview of State of Emergency Powers and LawWest Virginia Bar Association, 128th Annual MeetingWhite Sulphur Springs, West Virginia, Summer 2014
- Presentation: The Roles and Responsibilities of the Governor's Legal TeamWest Virginia UniversityMorgantown, West Virginia, Fall 2012, 2013 and 2016
- Presentation: The State's Emergency Response to the DerechoUtilities, Telecommunications and Energy Coalition's Annual MeetingParkersburg, West Virginia, 2012
- Panelist: Legislation that Could Affect Your Clients and Their Cases: 2015 Legislative PreviewWest Virginia Association for Justice Mid-Winter Convention and SeminarCharleston, West Virginia, January 9, 2015
Views & Visions
- Member, West Virginia Chamber of Commerce – Government Relations Committee
- Former West Virginia Representative, Advisory Committee on Rules and Procedures for the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Judge John A. Field, Jr. American Inn of Court