Areas Of Concentration
The Tax Team of Bowles Rice is committed to providing high-quality and innovative federal, state and local tax advice and advocacy that are specifically designed to meet our clients’ objectives. We believe it is essential to listen and gain a full understanding of each client’s objectives and unique circumstances, and then propose alternatives to attain those objectives.
We place a strong emphasis on staying abreast of recent tax developments and planning opportunities. We regularly attend and make presentations at tax seminars and institutes, and make extensive use of the two leading computer research tax databases to ensure that we have the most current information regarding tax authorities and developments.
2018 Federal Tax Reform
The members of the Bowles Rice Tax Team have broken down the 1,079-page Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) into a series of summaries that highlight various aspects of the new Federal tax laws. To find out more about how the sweeping new changes may impact you and/or your business, click here and choose from a list of nearly 20 topic-specific summaries. Please contact a member of the Bowles Rice Tax Team if you'd like to discuss how the TCJA could affect your particular tax situation, and the possible planning steps you might consider in response.
- July 11, 2013
- July 31, 2012
Presentations & Events
- Presentation: Comprehensive State Tax Reforms, by Michael E. Caryl2015 West Virginia Tax Institute Annual Meeting & ConferenceGlade Springs Resort, Daniels, West Virginia, October 20, 2015
- Presentation: Taxation of Property Owned by Not For Profit Entities, Charitable Entities & Governmental Entities & Property Taxation of Overriding Royalty Interests, by Floyd McKinley Sayre2015 West Virginia Tax Institute Annual Meeting & ConferenceGlade Springs Resort, Daniels, West Virginia, October 20, 2015
- Presentation: Conservation Easements – Tax and Estate Planning, by David A. DeJarnettThe West Virginia Farmland Protection ConferenceCanaan Valley Resort, Davis, West Virginia, September 18, 2014
- Presentation: Section 1031 Like-Kind Exchanges in the Oil and Gas Industry, by David A. DeJarnettWest Virginia Society of CPAsThe Greenbrier Resort, White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia, June 18, 2014
Articles & Alerts
- How Will New Federal Tax Laws Impact You or Your Business? Bowles Rice Breaks it Down.January 8, 2018
- Tax Alert, January 1, 2015
- "West Virginia's Statutory Nexus Presumption: A Safe Harbor for Financial Service Providers Despite MBNA or Even Physical Presence?," by Michael E. Caryl and Catie Wilkes DelligattiTax Report, Institute for Professionals in Taxation, p. 4, March 2014
- Tax Alert, October 15, 2012
- "No Customers? No Nexus? No Problem?," by Michael E. CarylTax Report, Institute for Professionals in Taxation, p. 18, August 2011
- The Citizens Bank of Weston, Inc., et al. v. The City of Weston (proper application of municipal B&O tax)Amicus Brief, 2001
- "The Illusion of Due Process in West Virginia’s Property Tax Appeals System: Making the Constitution’s Promise a Reality," by Michael E. Caryl98 W. Va. Law Review, 1998
- "Special Tax Treatment of the Coal Industry," by Michael E. Caryl11 Eastern Mineral L. Inst. P. 6-1, Matthew Bender & Co., Inc., 1990
Views & Visions
- Oil & Gas: Powering Our Future!Spring 2011