F: (304) 347-1746
J.D., West Virginia University College of Law (1993)
- Traveling Lugar Trial Team
- Moot Court Team
B.A., Economics and Political Sciences, Vanderbilt University (1988)
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of West Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Stuart McMillan is chairman of the Bowles Rice Litigation Department. He practices with a focus on civil trial and appellate litigation, and he tries cases in both federal and state courts throughout West Virginia. He has tried numerous cases to verdict, including libel, defamation, trespass and bodily injury lawsuits.
Stuart represents national corporate clients as well as regional and local corporate clients across many industries, including oil and gas, financial services and manufacturing.
Stuart has been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America ® in the areas of commercial litigation, insurance law, litigation - First Amendment and media law, and by Super Lawyers for business litigation. He also has earned an AV peer-review rating by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Chairman, Bowles Rice Litigation Department
- Former Member, Bowles Rice Executive Committee
Recent Reported Cases
- John D. Williams v. Kenneth L. Tucker and Deborah A. Tucker, in the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia Docket No. 16-0657
- State of West Virginia ex rel., The Health Plan of the Upper Ohio Valley, and West Virginia Family Health Plan, Inc., and West Virginia Department of Administration et al. v. Honorable James C. Stucky, et al., in the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia Docket No. 15-0564.
- Hiram Lewis v. Jim Samples, Prosecutor of Clay County, in the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia Docket No. 13-0464; appeal from final order of the Circuit Court of Clay County (Civil Action No. 12-C-29). Outcome: memorandum decision affirming Circuit Court decision granting summary judgment to Jim Samples (client).
- Trans Energy, Inc.; Republic Partners VI, LP; Republic Energy Ventures, LLC; and Prima Oil Company, Inc. v. EQT Production Company, in the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit Docket No. 12-2553; On appeal from the United States District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia at Clarksburg. Outcome: memorandum decision affirming Circuit Court decision granting summary judgment.
- State of West Virginia ex rel., Justin S. Golden, Sr., New York Life Insurance and Annuity Corporation, and NYLIFE Securities, LLC v. The Honorable Tod J. Kaufman, & Mark A. Miller, in the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia Docket No. 14-0280. Outcome: petition for writ of prohibition granted.
- Recognized by 2016 edition of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business among “Leaders in their Field” for Litigation: General Commercial
- Named to The Best Lawyers in America ® (Commercial Litigation; Insurance Law; Litigation - First Amendment; and Media Law)
- Peer-Review Ranked AV by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized by Super Lawyers (Business Litigation), 2012-present
Presentations & Events
- Moderator: As Judges See It: What Attorneys Need to Know About West Virginia's Business CourtNational Business InstituteCharleston, West Virginia, May 2016
- Stuart routinely presents to The West Virginia Bankers Association, The Community Bankers of West Virginia and The West Virginia Chamber of Commerce's CourtWatch
- Presentation: West Virginia Consumer Credit and Protection Act - Review & Update, by Floyd Boone, Julia A. Chincheck, Stuart A. McMillan, Sandra M. Murphy and Amy J. TawneyWest Virginia Bankers AssociationCharleston, West Virginia, November 20, 2013
Articles & Alerts
- Fluharty v. Quicken Loans Inc., No. 15-1439 (4th Circuit July 14, 2015) by Sandra M. Murphy, Floyd Boone, James E. Scott and Stuart A. McMillanAmicus Brief, July 14, 2015
- "Unconscionability Under the West Virginia Consumer Credit and Protection Act Requires 'Procedural' and 'Substantive' Unfairness," by Floyd Boone, Stuart A. McMillan, Sandra M. Murphy and James E. ScottAmicus Brief, March 31, 2015
- "West Virginia Supreme Court Finds That Coverage Opinions and Seminars Materials Prepared by Outside Counsel are Protected by Attorney Client Privilege"Litigation Alert, June 5, 2014
Views & Visions
- Litigation in the 21st CenturyFall 2008
- American Bar Association (Tort and Insurance; Complex Torts; and Judicial Improvement committees)
- West Virginia State Bar Association (Chair, Judicial Improvement Committee; Board of Governors, 2002-2005 and 2008-2011)
- Lawyer Referral and Information Service (Former Chairman)
- West Virginia University College of Law (Dean's Advisory Council)
- Hollowell Foundation (Board Member)
- Kanawha United Presbyterian Church (Trustee)
- YMCA of the Kanawha Valley (Former Chairman)