F: (304) 264-4210
J.D., West Virginia University College of Law (1982)
B.S./B.A., West Virginia University (1978)
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- U.S. Districts Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of West Virginia
Stephen Mathias is the leader of the Bowles Rice Real Estate group, and concentrates his practice in the areas of commercial and residential real estate and development. He has vast experience with commercial and residential developers, owners, financial institutions and investors, working in matters relating to real estate development and commercial business transactions. Steve routinely represents commercial developers in land use, financing and transactional matters, and is well positioned to assist clients in all aspects of land sales, acquisitions and land development for commercial and residential lending.
Steve has worked with clients to facilitate complex commercial real estate transactions including malls, shopping centers and industrial and business parks. He is an agent for First American Title Insurance Company, Fidelity National Title Insurance Company, Commonwealth Land Title Insurance Company and Old Republic National Title Insurance Company. In his role as a title insurance agent, He has issued more than $250 million in title insurance. In addition, over the past 15 years, Steve has facilitated the closure of more than 10,000 residential loans.
He has been selected to The Best Lawyers in America© in Real Estate Law and was named by The Best Lawyers in America© as 2014 Real Estate Litigation - Lawyer of the Year in the northern West Virginia region. He is recognized in the 2016 edition of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business among “Leaders in their Field” for Real Estate Law.
Steve has been the Municipal Court Prosecutor for the Town of Berkeley Springs, West Virginia, for more than 20 years. He also served as assistant attorney general for the State of West Virginia from 1983 to 1985.
- Issued more than $250 million in title insurance
- Facilitated the closure of more than 10,000 commercial and residential loans
- Experienced in complex commercial real estate matters including malls, shopping centers and industrial and business parks
- Routinely represents commercial developers in land use, financing and transactional matters
- Serves as a title insurance agent for four title insurance companies
- Leader, Bowles Rice Real Estate Practice Group
- American Bar Association
- West Virginia Bar Association
- Eastern Panhandle Bar Association