F: (304) 285-2526
J.D., West Virginia University College of Law (2001)
- President, Student Bar Association
B.S., summa cum laude, West Virginia University (1997)
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
Seth Wilson practices in the areas of energy and real estate development, commercial business and real estate law, tax and estate planning. He is admitted to practice in West Virginia and Pennsylvania, and divides his time between the firm’s offices in Morgantown, West Virginia and Southpointe, Pennsylvania.
As leader of the firm’s Energy and Real Estate Development practice, Seth oversees one of the largest, most dedicated and skilled title teams in the Appalachian Basin.
He has a broad real estate and mineral law practice that involves assisting clients with structuring, negotiating and closing real estate transactions; like-kind exchanges; all types of commercial, residential and mixed-use developments; commercial lease transactions; the examination of mineral titles; curative title work; and the sale and acquisition of coal, oil, gas and timber properties. He also represents clients in the areas of zoning, land use planning, foreclosure and landlord/tenant. Seth is an agent for First American Title Insurance Company and Old Republic National Title Insurance Company.
Seth’s commercial and general business practice includes structuring, negotiating and closing mergers, corporate reorganization and stock and asset purchase transactions. He has represented lenders and borrowers in complex commercial loan transactions involving the financing of hotels, retail shopping strips and multi-family residential developments, equipment leases and mineral exploration. He assists clients with organization, operation and dissolution of business entities, and preparation of buy/sell agreements, employment agreements and other contracts.
His tax practice focuses on the analysis of federal income tax issues and the design and implementation of sophisticated estate plans, including the preparation of wills; revocable trusts; irrevocable life insurance trusts; charitable trusts; family limited partnerships and advance directives. He has experience in the areas of asset protection planning, like-kind exchanges, estate administration, elder law and Medicaid planning. Seth has successfully helped non-profit corporations organize and apply for federal tax-exempt status.
- Member, Bowles Rice Executive Committee
- Leader, Bowles Rice Energy & Real Estate Development Group
- Leadership West Virginia, Class of 2005
- Recognized by 2014 edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business among “Leaders in their Field” for Natural Resources Law
- Named Best Lawyers’ 2014 Energy Law Lawyer of the Year in the northern West Virginia region
- Named to The Best Lawyers in America ® (Energy Law)
- Recognized by West Virginia Super Lawyers (Natural Resources Law)
- West Virginia University College of Law Order of the Coif
Presentations & Events
- Seth speaks frequently to industry groups on topics related to Energy and Real Estate Development Law.
Views & Visions
- Coal: Powering Our Future!Summer 2010
- Energy and Mineral Law Foundation
- West Virginia Bar Association
- Monongalia County Bar Association
- United Way of Monongalia and Preston Counties (President, Board of Directors)
- West Virginia Municipal Pension Oversight Board
- West Virginia University Hospitals Board of Directors (Compliance and Audit Committee)