F: (304) 343-2867
J.D., West Virginia University College of Law (1964)
B.A., West Virginia University (1961)
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of West Virginia
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Fourth and Sixth Circuits
F.T. “Tom” Graff, Jr., a practicing attorney since 1964, is the former Managing Partner of the firm and practices in the areas of business and commercial law, banking law and mineral law. His law practice began in real estate and coal, oil and gas law and evolved into a commercial and banking law practice, as well as natural resources.
Tom has represented sole proprietorships, corporations, partnerships, limited liability companies and banking institutions, large and small, and has been involved in acquisitions and sales of businesses or business assets with extensive experience in the purchase and sale of coal, oil, gas and timber assets and properties. He also has participated in the planning, conceptualization, negotiation and settlement of numerous significant commercial transactions and claims, including the regular representation of clients in loan and capital related transactions.
He currently acts as counsel and advisor to corporate executives and many of the firm’s commercial clients.
He acted as Managing Partner of Bowles Rice McDavid Graff & Love from 1986 to 2007. During that time, the firm grew from 30 attorneys in one Charleston office in 1986 to an organization of more than 120 attorneys and seven offices in West Virginia, Kentucky and Virginia.
- President and director of Graff-Lane Properties, LLC, and serves as one of three trustees for 12 private trusts involving oversight of several businesses and numerous passive investments
- Named to The Best Lawyers in America ® (Administrative / Regulatory Law, Corporate Law, Energy Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law, Natural Resources Law, Oil & Gas Law)
- Recognized as Best Lawyers' 2014 Administrative / Regulatory Law Lawyer of the Year in the southern West Virginia region
Recognized by 2016 edition of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in the areas of Corporate/Commercial Law and Natural Resources Law
- Peer-Review Rated AV by Martindale-Hubbell
Listed in West Virginia Super Lawyers in the area of Energy and Natural Resources (2010-present)
- August 15, 2016
- May 31, 2016
- May 20, 2015
- April 27, 2012
Views & Visions
- Oil & Gas: Powering Our Future!Spring 2011
- United Bankshares, Inc. (Director Emeritus; Former Director; and Executive Committee Member)
- West Virginia Media and several of its subsidiaries (Secretary)
- Mt. Hope Bankshares, Inc. and Bank of Mt. Hope (Chairman of Board of Directors)
- Fahlgren, Inc. (Director)
- Chemical Alliance Zone (Chairman and President), 1998-present
- West Virginia Chamber of Commerce (Director Emeritus)
- West Virginia Roundtable (Director Emeritus)
- Bank of Dunbar (Former Director and Executive Committee Member)
- McDonough Caperton Insurance Group, Inc. (Former Board of Directors Member)
- Acordia of West Virginia (Former Board of Directors Member)