F: (304) 343-3058
J.D., West Virginia University College of Law (2012)
B.S., Business Administration, West Virginia University (2007)
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of West Virginia
Thompson Pearcy focuses his practice in commercial and financial law, and has significant experience in public finance and municipal bonds, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, commercial lending, private offerings, contract negotiation, creditors’ rights issues and securities regulation and compliance matters.
Tom is a member of the firm’s Municipal Bonds and Public Finance practice group. During his tenure with Bowles Rice, he has had extensive involvement in the firm’s bond practice, serving as bond counsel, issuer’s counsel, special counsel and trustee’s counsel in numerous public finance matters. Tom has experience with both tax-exempt and taxable transactions, including a variety of revenue bonds, general obligation bonds, new money or “construction” bonds, refunding bonds, lease purchase financings, qualified zone academy bonds, excess levy projects and economic development transactions. In connection with that work, Tom has advised and represented state entities, municipalities, school boards, county commissions and other public bodies with respect to a wide variety of issues related to public financings and municipal bonds.
Additionally, he is a member of the firm’s Tax Increment Financing (TIF) team that has served as bond counsel and trustee’s counsel in various projects throughout the State of West Virginia.
Prior to becoming an attorney at Bowles Rice, Tom completed a summer associate program and also worked in the financial industry. He is a member of the National Association of Bond Lawyers, the Business Law Section of the American Bar Association and the West Virginia State Bar. He earned his law degree from the West Virginia University College of Law in 2012.
- Former summer legal associate
- Former financial services representative
- Recipient of CALI Awards (recognition for achieving the highest grade in a particular subject) at West Virginia University College of Law:
- Health Care Torts; and
- Employment Law
- October 26, 2012
Presentations & Events
- Presentation: Your School Finance Questions: An Open Forum - Answers to Frequently Asked Questions Concerning School Finance Issues, by Roger Hunter, Tom Pearcy and Berkeley BentleyWest Virginia Association of School Business Officials, Fall 2017
- Presentation: Coming Up Short – When the Excess Levy Does Not Raise What the Voters Approved, by Roger Hunter and Tom PearcyWV Association of School Business OfficialsCanaan Valley Resort State Park, Davis, West Virginia, October 13, 2016
- Presentation: Enhancing Available Funds – Bond Issues, Lease/Purchase, QZAB’s, Special Levies and Other Avenues to Enhance the School District’s Financial Resources, by Cam Siegrist, Roger Hunter and Tom PearcyWV Association of School Business OfficialsCanaan Valley Resort State Park, Davis, West Virginia, October 13, 2016
- Presentation: Excess Levy Elections and Open Meetings Issues, by Thompson R. PearcyWest Virginia Association of School Business Officials, October 15, 2015
Views & Visions
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- American Bar Association (Business Law Section)