F: (304) 343-2867
J.D., West Virginia University College of Law (2012)
Ph. D., Chemistry, University of Notre Dame (2006)
B.S., Biochemistry, West Virginia University (2002)
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of West Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Roger G. Hanshaw concentrates his legal practice on the environmental and technical issues that arise in business transactions, as well as regulatory compliance matters and litigation for a diverse client base.
He holds a Ph. D. in chemistry from the University of Notre Dame. This advanced science degree is critical in representing clients in the science driven field of environmental law.
Roger is a certified professional parliamentarian and regularly counsels government bodies and nonprofit organizations throughout the state and nation on meeting procedures, parliamentary law, bylaws construction and convention management. He is also a certified magistrate court mediator and board of directors member for the West Virginia Farm Bureau.
He is a member of the West Virginia House of Delegates, representing District 33 (Calhoun, Clay and Gilmer Counties).
- Leadership West Virginia, Class of 2009
- Assistant Director and Director of Research, West Virginia University Extension Services (2008-2012)
- Special Assistant to the Commissioner for Scientific Affairs and Acting Director of Laboratory Services, West Virginia Department of Agriculture (2006-2008)
- Certified Professional Parliamentarian – highest credential attainable from the American Institute of Parliamentarians. One of approximately 250 credentialed parliamentarians in the United States.
- Professional Registered Parliamentarian – highest credential available from the National Association of Parliamentarians
- Certified Magistrate Court Mediator
- Author of numerous articles in scientific publications
- Frequent contributor to national publications on parliamentary law
- West Virginia University College of Law
- Recipient of CALI Awards (recognition for achieving the highest grade in a particular subject) in real estate transactions, appellate advocacy, Supreme Court advocacy and civil rights.
University of Notre Dame
Rohm and Haas Outstanding Graduate Award
University of Notre Dame Outstanding Teaching Award
West Virginia University
Order of Augusta
Dennis O’Brien Award (awarded annually to the top graduate of the WVU Honors Program)
- November 12, 2015
- July 9, 2015
- March 21, 2014
- May 15, 2013
- October 26, 2012
Presentations & Events
- Presentation: Air Quality Considerations for Construction of Natural Gas Infrastructure, by Roger HanshawWVONGA Annual Meeting, Wheeling, West Virginia, September 29, 2015
- Presentation: Making the Most of Board Meetings: Tools of Parliamentary Procedure to Keep Meetings Moving, by Roger HanshawWest Virginia Hospital Association’s CEO ForumCharleston, West Virginia, May 15, 2015
Articles & Alerts
- "Regulation of Nanomaterials: What Are They? How are They Regulated? Who Decides?," by Roger G. HanshawNatural Resources & Environment, Volume 29, Number 4, Spring 2015
- "Urban Legends of Parliamentary Procedure," by Roger G. HanshawWest Virginia Focus, March/April 2015
- Legalities, West Virginia School Board Association, July 2014
- Environmental & Regulatory Alert, April 25, 2014
- Legalities, West Virginia School Board Association, February 2013
Views & Visions
- A Bright Future: Energy, the Environment & Economic GrowthSummer 2014
- American Chemical Society (Chemistry and the Law Section)
- National Association of Parliamentarians
- West Virginia State Association of Parliamentarians (State President), 2011-2013
- American Institute of Parliamentarians (National Professional Accreditation Committee), 2012-2014
- West Virginia Farm Bureau (Member, Board of Directors)