J.D., West Virginia University College of Law (1997)
B.S., Journalism, Ohio University (1994)
- Ohio Supreme Court
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of West Virginia
William “Bill” Ihlenfeld leads the Bowles Rice White Collar Practice Group and focuses on a full range of federal enforcement and internal investigation matters, with particular emphasis on the healthcare and banking sectors. He has extensive experience overseeing sensitive and complex matters, both within the government and in private practice.
Bill’s career in the law has been punctuated by terms of public service. He served as the presidentially-appointed United States Attorney for the Northern District of West Virginia from 2010 until 2016. Prior to that, he was a state prosecutor for 13 years in multiple West Virginia counties. While U.S. Attorney, Bill prosecuted British banking giant HSBC for its failure to identify money laundering transactions related to Mexican drug trafficking, resulting in nearly $2 billion in penalties.
Bill further draws on his prosecutorial experience while working in the firm’s Cybersecurity and Information Privacy Group. He is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) and helps to prevent clients’ data from getting into the hands of cyber criminals.
Since returning to the private sector in 2017, Bill has maintained an active litigation practice, handling high-stakes matters throughout the country in both state and federal court.
- United States Attorney, Northern District of West Virginia
- Chief Assistant Prosecuting Attorney, Ohio County, WV
- Lead trial counsel in more than 200 state and federal criminal matters, including over 50 jury trials
- Honored by the White House for Outstanding Support to National HIDTA Program
- Honored by FBI-CJIS Citizens’ Academy for outstanding service in law enforcement
- Prosecuted HSBC Bank for money laundering and terror financing resulting in $1.9 billion judgment.
- Prosecuted McKesson Corp. for filling suspicious orders for narcotics resulting in $150 million judgment.
- Prosecuted hospital for Stark Act violations resulting in multi-million-dollar judgment.
- Prosecuted physicians and pharmacists for illegal prescribing and dispensing of narcotics resulting in prison sentences and forfeiture of assets.
- Prosecuted cases of healthcare fraud, embezzlement, extortion, money laundering, and tax evasion.
- Successfully defended physicians practice group in U.S. Department of Justice Stark Law probe.
- Successfully led internal investigation for company under U.S. Justice Department investigation for theft of intellectual property and trade secrets.
- Successfully represented small business owner under investigation for fraud by U.S. Department of Justice, with no charges being brought versus client.
- Successfully defended target of Securities and Exchange Commission insider trading investigation, with no charges being filed versus client.
- Successfully obtained downward departure for client convicted of embezzlement from employer.
- Successfully guided regional hospital through internal investigation, new CEO search and reconfiguration of Board of Directors.
- Outstanding Contributions in the Field of Drug Law Enforcement, Drug Enforcement Administration (2004)
- Purple Ribbon Award for Visionary Leadership to End Violence Against Women, West Virginia Coalition Against Domestic Violence (2014)
- Public Servant of the Year, Clarksburg Exponent-Telegram (2016)
- Outstanding Support for National HIDTA Program, White House, Office of National Drug Control Policy (2017)
- Outstanding Service in Law Enforcement Award from the FBI Citizens Academy Alumni Association for his distinguished record of law enforcement service (2017)
- Outstanding Leadership in the Law, WVU College of Law (2018)
- Under the Collar, November 19, 2020
- Under the Collar, June 25, 2020
- Under the Collar, May 8, 2020
- Under the Collar, April 21, 2020
- Under the Collar, March 26, 2020
- Under the Collar, February 10, 2020
- Under the Collar, January 21, 2020
- Under the Collar, January 8, 2020
- Under the Collar, December 4, 2019
- American Bar Association
- Ohio County Bar Association
- West Virginia Bar Association
- West Virginia Coalition Against Domestic Violence, Board of Directors (2017-present)
- Ohio Valley Sexual Assault Help Center, Board of Directors (2015-present)