J.D., West Virginia University College of Law (1997)
B.S., Journalism, Ohio University (1994)
- Ohio Supreme Court
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of West Virginia
William “Bill” Ihlenfeld leads the Bowles Rice White Collar Practice Group and focuses on a full range of federal enforcement and internal investigation matters, with particular emphasis on the healthcare and banking sectors. He has extensive experience overseeing sensitive and complex matters, both within the government and in private practice.
Bill’s career in the law has been punctuated by terms of public service. He served as the presidentially-appointed United States Attorney for the Northern District of West Virginia from 2010 until 2016. Prior to that, he was a state prosecutor for 13 years in multiple West Virginia counties. While U.S. Attorney, Bill prosecuted British banking giant HSBC for its failure to identify money laundering transactions related to Mexican drug trafficking, resulting in nearly $2 billion in penalties.
Bill further draws on his prosecutorial experience while working in the firm’s Cybersecurity and Information Privacy Group. He is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) and helps to prevent clients’ data from getting into the hands of cyber criminals.
Since returning to the private sector in 2017, Bill has maintained an active litigation practice, handling high-stakes matters throughout the country in both state and federal court.
- West Virginia State Senator (elected in 2018)
- United States Attorney, Northern District of West Virginia (2010-2016)
- Brooke County Prosecuting Attorney's Office (2007-2010)
- Ohio County Prosecuting Attorney's Office (1997-2007)
- Outstanding Contributions in the Field of Drug Law Enforcement, Drug Enforcement Administration (2004)
- Purple Ribbon Award for Visionary Leadership to End Violence Against Women, West Virginia Coalition Against Domestic Violence (2014)
- Public Servant of the Year, Clarksburg Exponent-Telegram (2016)
- Outstanding Support for National HIDTA Program, White House, Office of National Drug Control Policy (2017)
- Outstanding Service in Law Enforcement Award from the FBI Citizens Academy Alumni Association for his distinguished record of law enforcement service (2017)
- Outstanding Leadership in the Law, WVU College of Law (2018)
- Under the Collar, March 26, 2020
- Under the Collar, February 10, 2020
- Under the Collar, January 21, 2020
- Under the Collar, January 8, 2020
- Under the Collar, December 4, 2019
- American Bar Association
- Ohio County Bar Association
- West Virginia Bar Association
- West Virginia Coalition Against Domestic Violence, Board of Directors (2017-present)
- Ohio Valley Sexual Assault Help Center, Board of Directors (2015-present)