F: (304) 343-3058
J.D., Yale University Law School (1979)
B.A., summa cum laude, West Virginia University (1975)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of West Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Both in his 38 year legal career and through his 18 years of service as Chairman of the Investor’s Committee of the West Virginia Investment Management Board, Roger Hunter has worked extensively in matters involving the capital markets and financial institutions, including large financings, bond issues, securities offerings, securities regulation, and mergers and acquisitions. His work has involved both domestic and international companies and transactions.
Currently, Roger's primary practice areas include public finance and municipal bonds, securities and SEC matters, mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, and general corporate and business law. Roger has significant experience with both equity securities and fixed income securities, including providing counsel from a variety of perspectives on bond work, including as bond counsel, issuer’s counsel, trustee’s counsel, conduit borrower’s counsel, and on behalf of underwriters and placement agents.
Roger’s work in municipal bonds and public finance has included a wide variety of transactions and projects, and has ranged from large general obligation bond issues for public works, to conduit borrowings for private corporate borrowers, and has included lease purchase financings, “appropriation” bonds and moral obligation bonds, a broad variety of revenue bonds, refundings and refinancing transactions, economic development financings, large public offerings, and private placements and limited offerings, and both taxable bonds and tax-exempt bonds.
Roger’s work in securities regulation and SEC matters has ranged from representing issuers, underwriters, placement agents, securities professionals, and investors in both public offerings and private placements and limited offerings, to SEC and State regulatory compliance for public companies, securities professionals, venture capital companies, small business investment corporations, and institutional investors. He has advised clients on preparation of offering materials and documents for both public and non-public offerings and placements of securities; has overseen and assisted in due diligence for public and non-public offerings and placements; has helped clients in fulfilling their SEC and other filing, disclosure and regulatory obligations; has helped clients in dealing with insider trading questions; and has provided representation and guidance on a broad variety of legal disputes involving securities law issues.
Throughout his career, Roger has frequently been called upon to assist on litigation matters when complex securities questions are at issue, including FINRA arbitration proceedings as well as for civil litigation. He is often asked by lawyers outside the firm who do not practice in the area to provide advice and guidance on securities law issues.
Roger also teaches, speaks and presents on capital markets, bond issues, securities laws, and other economic and legal issues. He has made multiple appearances and provided testimony before legislative committees on matters involving municipal bonds, securities law issues, investment regulation, and access to capital markets.
- Board of Trustees Member, West Virginia Investment Management Board
- Member of the Board, West Virginia Trust Fund, Inc. (1996-1997)
- General Counsel to The Greenbrier®, James C. Justice Companies, Inc., and affiliates (2011-2014)
- Best Lawyers in America®, August 20, 2020
- August 15, 2019
Presentations & Events
- Presentation: Financing Tools in the Economic Development Toolkit by Roger D. Hunter and Robert S. KissTown of MatewanMatewan, West Virginia, April 30, 2019
- Presentation: Your School Finance Questions: An Open Forum - Answers to Frequently Asked Questions Concerning School Finance Issues, by Roger Hunter, Tom Pearcy and Berkeley BentleyWest Virginia Association of School Business Officials, Fall 2017
- Presentation: Enhancing Available Funds – Bond Issues, Lease/Purchase, QZAB’s, Special Levies and Other Avenues to Enhance the School District’s Financial Resources, by Cam Siegrist, Roger Hunter and Tom PearcyWV Association of School Business OfficialsCanaan Valley Resort State Park, Davis, West Virginia, October 13, 2016
- Presentation: Coming Up Short – When the Excess Levy Does Not Raise What the Voters Approved, by Roger Hunter and Tom PearcyWV Association of School Business OfficialsCanaan Valley Resort State Park, Davis, West Virginia, October 13, 2016
Views & Visions
Association of Corporate Counsel
West Virginia State Bar (Chairman of the Corporation, Banking and Business Law Committee, 1994-1997; Chairman, Administrative Law Section, 1981-1982)
- Executive Board, ABA-Young Lawyers Division Special Committee on Securities, 1987-88
Roger has been active in a variety of community service projects and has served on a number of non-profit corporation boards of directors.