F: (304) 285-2575
J.D., West Virginia University College of Law (2010)
- Order of the Coif
- West Virginia Law Review
B.A., summa cum laude, Political Science, West Virginia University (2007)
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
Chelsea Brown is a seasoned litigator who represents health care systems and individual providers in any type of litigation arising from the provision of medical care and treatment to patients, including medical malpractice allegations and professional licensing disputes. Her litigation practice also includes high exposure wrongful death claims on behalf of insured clients and direct defense of insurers against claims of unfair trade practices and common law bad faith.
A skilled communicator and strategist, Chelsea has established an impressive body of work highlighted by voluntary claim dismissals, strategic negotiations toward resolution and even multiple summary judgment victories on a wide variety of claims. Chelsea understands the high-stress nature of litigation which impacts upon an entity or individual’s professional reputation and aggressively litigates these cases as if she were in her clients’ shoes.
Chelsea’s practice also includes representation before the professional licensing boards in the State of West Virginia, particularly when a licensing dispute arises or disciplinary actions could affect a professional’s ability to continue working in his or her field. When an individual’s ability to work is in peril, Chelsea will pursue every avenue of defense while working to recommend any mitigation factors available to reach her client’s goals for resolution.
Finally, Chelsea also litigates complex regulatory matters affecting health care systems and their affiliates. Chelsea is dedicated to defending her clients’ interests where onerous legislation or government overreach results in high risk litigation. With the resources of the Bowles Rice Health Care Team, Chelsea can provide a wide range of litigation representation in this area.
Her past representative experience includes:
- Early dismissal of a claim of improper management of a psychiatric patient under the Medical Professional Liability Act, affirmed on appeal by the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- Voluntary dismissal of a wrongful death case once Chelsea educated plaintiff’s counsel on the medicine and the lack of merits of the claim
- Early dismissal of birth injury case based upon application of the statute of limitations, currently pending before the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- Successful defense of professionals against licensing boards where the threatened action could have led to revocation of the individuals’ immigration status and ability to earn their post-doctorate degrees
- Grant of summary judgment on behalf of university system against wrongful death action arising from student’s death on campus
- Grant of summary judgment on behalf of a county board of education and board member related to allegations of defamation
In addition to her direct defense work, Chelsea recognizes that the best defense is a good offense and is therefore proactive in counseling her clients on how to avoid costly litigation. She can be retained to perform a provider audit – large or small – to identify potential areas of exposure and make recommendations regarding risk mitigation. Chelsea’s strong communication skills and common-sense approach to these situations can result in all stakeholders walking away feeling like her services have made the practice better protected. She is a frequent guest author and presenter on topics related to the Medical Professional Liability Act and is available for presentations or educational series pertinent to all types of health care groups.
- Leadership West Virginia, Class of 2017
- Leadership Monongalia, Class of 2015
- Named to The Best Lawyers in America ® (Litigation - Health Care; Litigation - Insurance) 2021
- Recipient of CALI Awards (recognition for achieving the highest grade in a particular subject) at West Virginia University College of Law:
- Appellate Advocacy
- Legal Research and Writing
- Constitutional Law I and II
- Business Organizations
- Federal Courts
- Wealth Transfers
- Child Protection and The Law
- January 3, 2022
- May 6, 2021
- Best Lawyers in America®, August 20, 2020
- January 8, 2020
Presentations & Events
- Presentation: A Discussion on Damages in West Virginia by Chelsea V. BrownMonongalia County Bar AssociationZoom Meeting, March 19, 2021
- Defense Research Institute, Insurance Committee, Personal Lines Subcommittee
- Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia
- Monongalia County Bar Association, President (2022); former Vice President (2021)
- West Virginia State Bar, Board of Governors, District 14 – Marion and Monongalia Counties
- The Shack, Member, Board of Directors