F: (304) 347-2196
J.D., West Virginia University College of Law (2001)
M.A., Marshall University (1998)
B.A., Marshall University (1995)
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- Kentucky Supreme Court
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
Charles Hughes practices in the areas of construction law, business law, corporate transactions, commercial litigation, real estate law and energy law (oil and gas).
Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Kentucky, Charles is experienced in construction litigation and well-versed in areas related to mechanic's lien law, having handled claims on numerous construction projects. He has coordinated due diligence related to the acquisition of dozens of mineral-producing properties in four states and across multiple counties. Charles also has significant experience in abstracting and producing title reports for residential, commercial and mineral producing properties.
In addition to his construction law work, Charles has represented purchasers and sellers in a wide variety of additional asset and stock purchase agreements, ranging from $50,000 to $400 million. He has also successfully represented clients in the recovery of more than $1.6 million from the IRS for estate taxes erroneously paid and has successfully represented individual and business clients before the West Virginia Office of Tax Appeals.
- Staff Attorney, West Virginia State Tax Department (2002-2003)
- United States Naval Reservist (1992-2006)
- January 2, 2015
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Volunteer Little League coach, girls’ softball (2005-present)
- Volunteer coach, elementary girls’ basketball recreational league (2006-present)