F: (304) 347-1746
J.D., College of William & Mary, Marshall-Wythe School of Law (1992)
B.S., Aerospace Engineering, Virginia Tech (1989)
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of West Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Robert Hogan is an experienced litigator whose practice also encompasses environmental and regulatory law. An engineer by education, Robert brings an analytical, detail-oriented approach to his clients’ representation.
As an active litigator since 1992, Robert has considerable experience in civil, criminal and appellate practice. Robert’s litigation practice focuses on complex litigation in a variety of forms.
Robert has defended class actions ranging from a major chemical manufacturer subjected to toxic tort claims to a large insurance company accused of breaching contractual obligations owed to its insureds. He has participated in mass tort and products liability claims involving pharmaceutical manufacturers, physicians and others. He has also worked on the defense of difficult multi-plaintiff claims arising from mining-related disasters.
Throughout his career, Robert has defended numerous professional liability and professional responsibility claims involving health care providers, lawyers and engineers, including matters contested before professional boards, trial courts and the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia.
In his environmental practice, Robert has a particular interest in the regulation of water quality issues. Robert has advised landowners and construction-oriented businesses concerning compliance with the Clean Water Act and its state-law counterparts. He has defended clients subjected to regulatory enforcement actions undertaken by both state and federal agencies.
Robert has also assisted in the defense of citizen suits predicated on environmental laws. Finally, with a strong technical and litigation background and in-depth experience with complex environmental toxic tort claims alleging injury to person and property, Robert is uniquely positioned to defend clients subjected to such claims.
Robert has taught graduate-level courses at Marshall University for many years and has frequently been called upon to present at professional continuing education events.
- Organizer, Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia Energy Law Committee Spring 2013 Seminar
- Adjunct Instructor, Marshall University College of Information Technology and Engineering – EM 694, "Engineering Law" (2007-2015)
- Farrell, Farrell & Farrell, PLLC (1997-2007)
- Assistant Prosecuting Attorney, Harrison County, West Virginia (1997)
- Assistant Prosecuting Attorney, Wood County, West Virginia (1993-1996)
- Writ Clerk, Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia (1992-1993)
- Represented multiple landowners threatened with citizens suits based on the alleged discharge of selenium and other pollutants from old valley fills created by the long-concluded mining activities of other entities.
- Helped develop and implement the defense strategy for a major class action alleging environmental toxic tort claims against a major chemical manufacturer. The case, which was ultimately resolved by settlement, included property and medical monitoring claims asserted on behalf of tens of thousands of class members, as well as numerous, independent personal injury claims.
- Secured complete indemnity for a global engineering firm that was one of multiple defendants in a serious wrongful death action arising from a construction accident.
- Participated in the defense of nationwide class action arising from an insurance company’s exit from the global medical malpractice insurance business.
- Represented a law firm in the successful resolution of multiple questions certified to the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia in a malpractice action arising from the drafting of a will.
Presentations & Events
- Presentation: Protecting Your Ideas and Your Intellectual Property, by Robert L. HoganWest Virginia Chamber of Commerce ResourceUJune 2016
- Presentation: Truth or Consequences – Tips for Preparing to Testify, by Robert L. HoganClient ConferencePipestem State Park, West Virginia, March 2015
- Presentation: Ethical Risk Avoidance for the Professional Engineer, by Robert L. HoganMarshall University SAME-ASCE 7th Annual Winter Technical ConferenceHuntington, West Virginia, January 2015
- Presentation: Engineering Contract Tips, by Robert L. HoganHalf-Moon Education SeminarCharleston, West Virginia, December 2014
- Presentation: Professional Responsibility for West Virginia Engineers, by Robert L. HoganHalf-Moon Education SeminarCharleston, West Virginia, December 2014
- Presentation: Trial and Witness Preparation in Timber Theft and Trespass Cases, by Robert L. HoganForest Resources Association Security GroupParkersburg, West Virginia, September 2014
- Presentation: Improve Your Factor of Safety – Tips for Reducing the Margin of Error When Engineering and the Law Intersect, by Robert L. Hogan35th Annual West Virginia Construction and Design ExpositionCharleston, West Virginia, March 2014
- Presentation: Advanced Trial Tactics - Voir Dire and Jury Selection Strategies, by Robert L. HoganNational Business Institute - Advanced Trial Tactics SeminarCharleston, West Virginia, June 2013
- Presentation: Opposing Class Certification in West Virginia Courts by Reliance on the Constitutional Right to Present 'Every Available Defense', by Robert L. HoganDefense Trial Counsel of West Virginia Annual MeetingThe Greenbrier Resort, White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia, June 2012
- "Court Watch," a presentation concerning Perrine v. E.I. DuPont de Nemours and Company, 225 W.Va. 482, 694 S.E.2d 815 (2010)West Virginia Chamber of Commerce Annual MeetingThe Greenbrier Resort, White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia, August 2010
- Presentation: Legal Issues for West Virginia Professional Engineers - Engineering Malpractice, by Robert L. HoganHalf-Moon Education SeminarCharleston, West Virginia, December 2008
- Presentation: Malpractice Litigation in the Age of Electronically Stored Information, by Robert L. HoganWest Virginia Mutual Insurance Company’s Defense Panel ForumCharleston, West Virginia, November 2006
- Presentation: Electronic Discovery: An Overview, by Robert L. HoganWest Virginia Continuing Legal Education Series Litigation SeminarCanaan Valley Resort, Davis, West Virginia, February 2004
Articles & Alerts
- “Removing State Actions to Federal District Court: An Overview,” by Robert L. HoganDefense Trial Counsel of West Virginia, June 2016
- "Mister Manufacturer's Neighborhood – Avoid Environmental Controversy Through Positive Relationships and Communications," by Robert L. HoganMountain State Manufacturing Magazine, Summer 2013
- "Avoid or Simplify Fee Disputes with Clear Communications," by Robert L. Hogan‘The Communique,’ a publication of the West Virginia Bar Association, July 2007
Views & Visions
- A Bright Future: Energy, the Environment & Economic GrowthSummer 2014
- American Bar Association (Section of Energy, Environment and Resources)
- Defense Research Institute
- Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia
- Kanawha County Bar Association
- National Wild Turkey Federation – Potomac Headwaters Chapter