F: (304) 343-2867
J.D., West Virginia University College of Law (1983)
M.S., Systems Management, University of Southern California (1979)
B.S., Civil Engineering, West Virginia Institute of Technology (1973)
- President, Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- American Road Builders Association
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
John Woods focuses his practice on real estate law, energy and mineral law. His statewide practice concentrates on multi-thousand acre title projects.
These projects involve coal, oil, gas and coalbed methane development and acquisition and addressing mining rights issues as well as litigation of partition suits and other real estate and mineral related matters in Boone, Braxton, Brooke, Lincoln, Marion, Marshall, Mason, Monongalia, Ohio, Putnam, Raleigh, Wetzel and Wyoming counties.
John has litigated cases before the Circuit Courts of Braxton, Marion, Putnam, Monongalia, Raleigh, Mason and Wetzel counties in West Virginia, and before the United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia,and the United States Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond, Virginia.
- Former Member, Bowles Rice Executive Committee
- Captain, United States Marine Corps – Naval Aviator
- Captain, Civil Air Patrol
- Commercial Pilot
- Civil Engineer
Presentations & Events
- John has been a regular attendee at the Energy and Mineral Law Institutes, and presented the Oil and Gas Law Update at the 2003 Energy and Mineral Law Institute.
- American Bar Association
- West Virginia Bar Association
- Kanawha County Bar Association
- Energy and Mineral Law Foundation
- Chair, West Virginia Aeronautics Commission, by appointment of West Virginia Governor Earl Ray Tomblin