F: (304) 347-1756
- Law Clerk to The Honorable Irene M. Keeley, United States District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia (2012-2013)
J.D., West Virginia University College of Law (2012)
- Editor-in-Chief, The West Virginia Law Review
- West Virginia University College of Law United States Supreme Court Clinic
M.P.A., West Virginia University (2006)
B.A., cum laude, History, West Virginia University (2004)
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of West Virginia
Jessie Reckart concentrates her practice in labor and employment law. Jessie provides clients with thoughtful, responsive representation in litigation and administrative proceedings. She has defended employers against claims of employment discrimination, workers’ compensation discrimination, wrongful discharge, and violations of the West Virginia Wage Payment and Collection Act, among others. She is experienced in pre-trial litigation and motions practice in state and federal court, including removal, defending motions to remand, motions to dismiss, motions for summary judgment and motions in limine. Jessie is experienced in taking and defending depositions.
Jessie is a former law clerk to The Hon. Irene M. Keeley, United States District Court, Northern District of West Virginia. She served as Editor-in-Chief of Vol. 114 of the West Virginia Law Review, 2011–2012. Jessie is a board member of the nation’s first statewide education fund, the Education Alliance.
Jessie is a member of the West Virginia State Bar. She is licensed to practice in West Virginia and before the United States District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of West Virginia.
Won summary judgment based upon ERISA preemption of plaintiffs’ state-law claims, James Robinson et al. v. Highmark West Virginia Inc. d/b/a/ Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield of West Virginia, Civil No. 15-194 (Cir. Ct. Wood Cnty., W. Va. Jan. 11, 2016).
- Obtained unanimous ruling from the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia affirming circuit court's reversal of Unemployment Compensation Board of Review; denying unemployment compensation benefits to former employee for "gross misconduct," Shelli E. Smith v. The Board of Education of Berkeley Co. et al, No. 15-0062 (November 20, 2015) (Mem. D.).
- Obtained unanimous ruling from the Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia affirming circuit court's reversal of the West Virginia Public Employees’ Grievance Board; affirming termination of employment, Shelli E. Smith v. The Board of Education of Berkeley Co. et al, No. 14-0851 (May 15, 2015) (Mem. D.).
- Successfully removed case to Northern District of West Virginia on fraudulent joinder theory; prevailed on motion to dismiss and withstood plaintiff's motion to remand, Thompson v. Quality Carriers et al, Civil No. 5:14-127, 2015 WL 1880365 (N.D.W. Va. April 24, 2015).
Obtained finding of "no probable cause" from West Virginia Human Rights Commission for client on former employee's claims of age, race, and religion-based discrimination.
- Recognized as a Rising Star by Super Lawyers (Employment Litigation: Defense), 2017
- Recipient of 10 CALI Awards (recognition for achieving the highest grade in a particular subject) at West Virginia University College of Law.
- West Virginia University College of Law Order of the Coif
- West Virginia Bar Foundation Scholarship Recipient
- April 13, 2017
- March 21, 2014
- October 8, 2013
Presentations & Events
- Presentation: New West Virginia Employment Law LegislationBridgeport, West Virginia, October 28, 2016
- Presentation: Managing the Employment Relationship: A Legal Perspective, by Mark H. Dellinger and Jessie F. ReckartWest Virginia Rural Water AssociationSnowshoe Resort, Snowshoe, West Virginia, August 29, 2016
- Presentation: 2015 Rewind: Impact of Employment Law Trends on Human Resource Practice, by Jessie F. ReckartSociety for Human Resource Management, Charleston, West Virginia, January 13, 2016
- Presentation: ADA Implications for Employee Drug and Alcohol Use, by Jessie F. ReckartBowles Rice Education Law Group, Signature Series, Charleston, West Virginia, September 30, 2015
- Presentation: Drafting Must-Have Policies for Today's Handbooks, by Jessie F. ReckartEmployment Law: 2015 Comprehensive GuideHoliday Inn Express Civic Center, Charleston, West Virginia, June 10, 2015
- Presentation: Monitoring Employees: Privacy Issues and Employer Risks, by Jessie F. ReckartEmployment Law: 2015 Comprehensive GuideHoliday Inn Express Civic Center, Charleston, West Virginia, June 10, 2015
- Presentation: Employment Law, by Jessie F. ReckartWest Virginia Rural Water AssociationScott Depot, West Virginia, May 14, 2015
- Presentation: Legal Challenges to the Fracking Process, by Jessie F. ReckartAmerican Chemical Society Spring MeetingDallas, Texas, March 21, 2014
Articles & Alerts
- The State Journal, May 30, 2017
- Bowles Rice Labor & Employment Alert, April 10, 2017
- Labor and Employment Legislative Summary, March 14, 2016
- The Community Banker, Winter 2016
- Updated chapter, West Virginia State Bar Practice Handbook
- Labor and Employment Legislative Summary, March 16, 2015
- West Virginia Defense Trial Counsel Notebook, 2015